Saturday, April 29, 2006

other authors for devilsfolly

Hmmm.
I quite like Sharon Penman's historical fiction....Sunne in Splendour, Here Be Dragons, etc. Sunne is about Richard 3rd, Dragons about John. There are a couple of others set around the same period....Simon de Montfort, etc. Her writing isn't as deep as Dunnett's (is anyones???) but it's very well researched and a great read.
At the moment I'm reading Reginald Hill....British crime fiction writer. Much more character driven than the usual cops 'n' robbers stuff. I'm liking it quite a lot.
Fantasy? The first half dozen of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series are excellent. He's lost the plot a bit since then but I keep reading on!
I also loved Colleen McCullough's series on Ancient Rome/Caesar. First Man in Rome, The Grass Crown, etc. Great research in that! In terms of depth and detail this probably comes closest to Dunnett of anything I've read in recent years. It's hard to get into at first because of the detail and because everyone in Rome had the same bloody name! Once I got used to that though, it was all systems go. Well worth the effort.
Hmmm. Now I have something to think about....who else to recommend?

5 comments:

Shirl said...

are you still doing the Robert Jordan? Good for you!

Sorry about those Saints!

Julie said...

Well, book 11 came out and I had to read it, just to see if anything happens.....it was a lot better than the last couple. The next one (book 12!!!) will be the last so, hopefully, something will happen then.........but it could be a couple of years before it comes out. He's got very slow.
Most people seem to give up around book 7. That's when he went haywire.

Shirl said...

I think I made it through the first five, then lost the thread. I should go back to them.

Julie said...

You could probably skip to book 10 or 11 and not really miss much.

Shirl said...

thanks! and cool! Your dates are in the Aussie fashion. Took me a minute.

I like this blogging thing. I can keep track of you. *grin* And your Saints.