Saturday, July 01, 2006

I got home yesterday and decided I wanted to read. Home alone, peace and quiet. So I picked up The Hobbit. I haven't read it for years and thought, 'why not'? I love Tolkien. He is one of my all-time favourite writers. I've read Lord of the Rings many, many times and will, no doubt, read it many more times still.
But, as I was following along with Bilbo and the dwarves, I suddenly realised that the images in my head were the film versions, particularly Bilbo, Gollum and Gandalf. I find that a little bit distressing. I'm struggling to remember what my own image of hobbits was before I saw the films.
Damn you, Peter Jackson!! I loved the films, don't get me wrong, but I want my own images back!!!

3 comments:

Shirl said...

busy weekend! I think that's very true, about film versions of books taking over OUR imaginations. Interesting thought! And . . . did the Saints win?????

Julie said...

Yes they did. By 70 points!!! Playing again tomorrow.

Shirl said...

oh wow! Is this really our Saints?

Detroit Tigers are doing well this year also. What's this world coming to?