Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Best gigs

TOOL are in town. I'd really like to see them but I'm just a bit too old for that moshpit thing now. But it got me thinking about the best concerts/gigs I've been to over the years.

Page and Plant (it's one of my biggest regrets that I didn't get to see the original Zeppelin on their one and only Australian tour). When I heard the opening riff to Heartbreaker I thought "ok, I can die now". Just the best.
The Cure (saw them every time they came out here - first off in a dingy little pub in St Kilda right up to the full-blown stadium thing at Rod Laver Arena. Wherever they play, they can do no wrong in my eyes/ears)
Neil Young - he's been out here a few times. About time for another visit I think. Can't get enough.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - twice at the Big Day Out. Gotta love ol' Nick.
Pink Floyd (post Roger Waters version)- Awesome is the only word to describe that night.
Peter Gabriel - just love his stuff.
Nine Inch Nails - at the Big Day Out. I'd ripped the ligaments in my ankle so was holed up in the first aid tent. Couldn't see the band but the sound in there was fantastic; much better than out in the open.
The Tea Party - pompous individuals but, oh my, for a 3 piece they certainly pumped out a great sound. Just enough of a hint of Zep to suck me right in.
Mike Oldfield - played Tubular Bells right through. I remember him running around the stage as he jumped from one instrument to the next. Incredible talent.

And the worst show I ever saw? That honour goes to Black Sabbath I'm afraid. They were so out of it they could hardly play properly. Very disappointing.
Marilyn Manson was also pretty bad - he was trying so hard to be controversial but he just made me laugh. Tosser.

And the band I never saw but would dearly have loved to - Joy Division.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Robert Plant two years ago here in Boston...he was touring with his band, Strange Sensation...and they did Communication Breakdown and I got chills...chills, I tell you! DAMN he was good!