Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Dingo


Dingo, originally uploaded by jsarcadia.

Australia's native dog. They're still out there in the wild but usually further north than this. There's a colony on Fraser Island (off Queensland coast) which is the purest of the lot due to no mixing with domestic dogs.
Some people shoot dingoes unfortunately. They eat livestock and have been known to attack, and even kill, humans who get too close. Personally, I think that's the humans' fault, not the dogs'. If you know it's dangerous you don't go up and try to pat it!

5 comments:

Diane and Jack said...

At first glance, it would not look so dangerous, it looks somewhat like a collie to me but I can see a fox in it as well. That was sad to read that some actually would shoot it. It looks to be a beautiful animal to me...

Julie said...

I think it's closest relation is probably the wolf. It's colouring is foxlike but it's more wolfish than anything.

Shirl said...

and of course wolves are loved/hated here too.

Beautiful picture!

Janet said...

I had a person ask me once if Wolf was a dingo! Shibas and dingos do look a bit alike. Beautiful!

Julie said...

:) thought you'd like this one.