Sunday, May 18, 2008

Reading....

This Charming Man by Marion Keyes. I've read just about all Keyes' books and enjoyed them all. Funny Irish chicklit. This one, however, is testing my patience. The style it's written in is very annoying. It's a bit like Bridget Jones on steroids. In fact, it's so much like Bridget Jones that, as I'm reading, I can hear Renee Zellweger in my head. Pronouns, prepositions and conjunctions have been thrown out the window which makes for a very jerky read. There's also very little colloquial Irish. That has always made Keyes' other books so very charming and I'm missing it in this one.
I'm seriously considering not reading any further because I'm just not enjoying it.

6 comments:

Literary Feline said...

That's no good, Julie. I'm sorry you aren't enjoying your book. Maybe you should move on and either give this one another try later or if you don't think it will make a difference, forget about it.

I find it a bit annoying when a character in a book starts sounding like an actor or actress. I think that's one reason why I prefer reading the book before seeing the movie more often than not. Of course, in your case that isn't so much the issue because the book isn't based on the movie at all, much less the same character.

Julie said...

As it happens, a copy of The Time Traveler's Wige by Niffenegger has just come in this afternoon. I'm hooked already. Marion Keyes will have to wait.

Julie said...

Wife

Shirl said...

oh glad you confirmed Wife . . . I was curious!

Sudeaux Lux said...

It makes you wonder why she strayed from her usual style. Is she trying to make it easier to be transformed into a movie?

Julie said...

No idea Susan. Possibly.